What is ECUEA?
ECUEA is a private nonprofit 501 (c) 3 organization, incorporated under the laws of the State of Indiana. The organization’s primary purpose is to implement and utilize the advantages and benefits of the “Enterprise Zone” designation.
The Enterprise Zone is designed to:
- Stimulate reinvestment within the Zone;
- Create jobs for Zone residents;
- Promote a favorable climate for private sector and industrial investment in an economically distressed area.
Within the City, the Enterprise Zone constitutes almost four square miles of land which is a mixture of residential, commercial and industrial properties. The Enterprise Zone program provides tax incentives and reduces impediments to economic development in the zone.
The advantage industries or family owned businesses receive by relocating to or expanding in the Enterprise Zone is reduced State of Indiana and Lake County, Indiana tax obligations. For residents who both live and work in the Enterprise Zone there is a tax incentive available which will reduce their personal State tax liability.
1. Employee Income Tax Deduction
2. Employment Expense Credit
3. Loan Interest Credit
4. Property Tax Investment Deduction
UEAs are governed by a twelve member Board of Directors. The Board is composed of the following:
The governor shall appoint the following:
- One (1) state legislator whose district includes all or part of the enterprise zone.
- One (1) representative of the corporation, who is not a voting member of the
The executive of the municipality in which the zone is located shall appoint the following:
- One (1) representative of the plan commission having jurisdiction over the zone, if any exists.
- One (1) representative of the municipality’s department that performs planning or economic development functions.
- Two (2) representatives of businesses located in the zone, one (1) of whom shall be from a manufacturing concern, if any exists in the zone.
- One (1) resident of the zone.
- One (1) representative of organized labor from the building trades that represent construction workers.
The legislative body of the municipality in which the zone is located shall appoint, by majority vote, the following:
- One (1) member of the municipality’s legislative body whose district includes all or part of the zone.
- One (1) representative of a business located in the zone.
- Two (2) residents of the zone, who must not be members of the same political party.
The mission of the East Chicago Urban Enterprise Association, Inc. is to provide for and support the East Chicago Enterprise Zone’s residents and businesses through partnerships and incentives.
ECUEA VISION STATEMENT
The vision of the East Chicago Urban Enterprise Association is one of a vibrant, economically prosperous community supportive of residents and businesses. ECUEA sees economic growth in concert with environmental sustainability and a safe community as the keys to a vibrant community.